Talk given in ALE 2014 at August 21st 2014 in official program:
Design plays a key role in web projects that are made today.
Simplifying, UX creates friendly interfaces and visual designers create the graphic line of our projects.
And it’s not rare that these parts of the project are managed with waterfall, doing all the work of UX before pass to Visual Design and so on. The up-front knowledge of waterfall is like an assurance to control rework. A real problem for designers normally in multiple projects with tight deadlines.
How to move designers from waterfall to agile?
The benefits for development are clear, are so clear for them?
How to involve and integrate all these profiles and tasks into the development process?
In this presentation we will learn that this valuable work, must be compatible with an agile, iterative and incremental development.
We’ll see a lot of topics that lead us to an agile transformation:
– From separated teams to only one with several roles.
– Discover the real value of designers. They focus on what is really important to final users, and specially UX should be close to the customer or Product Owner, to define the vision of the project or the product.
– UX make a great use of well known analysis ‘agile’ techniques. It is the disappearance of the classic top-down Analyst and all developers love it.
– Identify that a user story could need a lot of profiles and tasks, like UX, Design, Front, Back, and all the customer validation needed, so this develop could be longer than expected.
And the great challenge:
– Go from the apparently security that gives ‘waterfall’ to the maximum expression of agility, that is implement a unique user story in the shortest lead time possible.
– Using Scurm: Using of Grooming meetings, a user story that starts in one sprint and continue in next, split stories by roles, slice stories, …
– Using Kanban: Less planning, keep the flow, remember pull cards, wip limit, ‘feed the team’ syndrome, …
We’ll see advantages and disadvantages of these approaches and what we have learned from others.
All profiles involved in development, but specially Scrum Masters, they can make the real transformation.